When I put my mind to something it's amazing how much work I can get done. I bought all the fabric exactly one week ago and as of yesterday afternoon, I'm already done piecing it together. Now comes the more challenging part - quilting it! Luckily I've got a friend who said she'd help me with that part since she has a long arm quilter. I have no desire to hand quilt it, but I'm quite capable of machine quilting.
Seeing the quilt pieced together, there are definitely things I would change if given the chance to redo it. Of course, I could redo it if I were ambitious but I'm not. I figure it's part of the learning curve of a first quilt. When I got the printed doggie fabrics - it came in a bundle of 4 printed fat quarters. The white background with the colorful dogs is what caught my eye. Had I been able to find just that fabric on a bolt I would have gone with just that one. But not wanting to waste the other fat quarters I decided to incorporate all of them into the quilt. That was my mistake. There's a brownish print with dog collars on it that just doesn't go with the rest of the quilt. I was hesitant to use it and I should have trusted my instincts. Oh well. Again, it's a first quilt and the slightly off color scheme will go well with the slightly off seams. Which brings me to the second mistake I made. I thought it would have been easier to opt for squares instead of anything involving triangles. 2 different sized squares + rectangles = really challenging seams to line up. Next time I'll think more closely about the individual pattern and how it all has to fit together.
Overall, I'm still pleased with it so far and look forward to a completed quilt. Just not sure when that will be.